Friday, November 03, 2006

The Accordion is Evil

I've been doing quite a bit of research for the past week, and am in the middle of compiling it now. I've discovered quite a few references in "pop culture" that associate the accordion with hell and/or evil. The "Devil's Dictionary" defines accordion as "an instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin." I've put together a collage linking some of these references together, with hell being inside of the accordion.



I've also been studying the work of Pauline Oliveros, a composer/performer who experiments with electronic and improvised music using the accordion. She developed a concept called "deep listening" - that is focusing and listening to everything that one could possible hear at a moment in time. I've created a couple of panels that summarize some of her work and ideas.





I'm also researching harmonics, the musical scale and basic chord theory. Drawing from all of this research, I propose to build a "deep listening device" that would listen to sounds in the local environment and attempt to sing along to the sounds in harmony or dissonance using a "mechanized" accordion. More details to come...

No comments: