Friday, March 30, 2007

From Breadboard to Printed Circuit Board


I went through a self-directed crash course in printed circuit design in order to create a printed circuit board to hold my control circuit for the robotic accordion. A printed circuit board provides more stable and reliable connections than those on a breadboard. I used CadSoft's Eagle software to layout my circuit schematic and convert it to a two-layer board design.



There are many companies online that specialize in building circuit boards. I uploaded my design files to Advanced Circuits in Colorado who built the board, which turned out quite well.



I transferred the parts from my breadboard circuit to the new printed circuit board, soldering them in place.



I built an oak frame to hold the circuit board, the Arduino microcontroller and the power supply, using pin connections to hold the frame in place.


Here is the circuit board in place in the robotic accordion device.

No comments: