Sunday, March 18, 2007

Save $$$ by Learning to Repair Your Own Accordion!

While working on controlling the pallets arms of the accordion, I broke off a couple of the pallets. The pallets hold on to the pallet arms with a special mixture of beeswax, resin and mineral oil. It is common for the wax to dry out and crack in older accordions. To repair the pallets, I reactivated the old wax mixture by adding some fresh beeswax to it and melting it with a heat gun.


As the mixture cooled, I applied it to the pallet and then secured it to the pallet arm.


The repaired pallet is shown in the bottom centre of the following photo:

1 comment:

edward said...

I did the same thing myself, only it was a bit more diffuclt because my accordion is a double tone chamber, it just took some trial and error but i did get it right.